Linda Markowitz, partner in Rosenthal & Markowitz, LLP since January 2001, concentrates in the areas of family and matrimonial and divorce law, wills, trusts and estates and residential real estate closings.
After graduating from New York University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology, she earned a Master of Arts degree in Teaching from Manhattanville College. In 1989, Linda graduated Magna Cum Laude from Pace University School of Law, thus launching herself into a legal career. She established her own solo general practice firm in 1994. She became a founding partner in 2000, of Rosenthal & Markowitz, LLP, with Kathy Rosenthal, who like herself, was a past president of the Westchester Women’s Bar Association.
Linda practices both matrimonial (divorce) and family law, estate planning. probate, wills, trusts and estates. She has trained extensively in collaborative law which she embodies her personal philosophy of matrimonial practice. She has litigation and negotiation skills developed over the past twenty-eight plus years. To that end, she has taken mediation training at Harvard Law School in 1993 and with the Center for Mediation in Law in May of 2009 and both basic and interdisciplinary collaborative law training.
From June, 1999 to June, 2001, Linda served as President of the Westchester Women’s Bar Association (“WWBA”). Since then, she has been active in the WWBA and the Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York (“WBASNY”) in many capacities, and presently, is a co-chair of the WWBA’s long range planning and past presidents’ committees. Additionally, she is a past president of the Westchester Women’s Bar Association Foundation and serves as a director on that board.
Resolving cases which involve domestic violence has been a particular interest of Linda’s. Since its inception in 2001, Linda has been involved with the Pace Women’s Justice Center's advisory board, Friends of Gail, and now serves on PWJC’s Executive Committee. She championed the start of the PWJC’s Moderate Means program in 2001, a program that matches domestic violence clients with attorneys who have agreed to significantly reduced rates.
Linda is a member of Attorney for the Child panel and represents children in Family Court and Supreme Court matters. She served on the executive committee member on the Justice Brandeis Law Society until 2016 and as President of the Surprise Lake Camp Board of Directors from May of 2014 to June of 2017. Linda formerly served on the Non Resident Sub-Committee of the Membership Committee of the New York State Bar Association. She has also been a member of the board of the Westchester County Bar Association. She is admitted to practice in New York, Florida and Connecticut, the United States District Court, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
In her personal life, Linda finds people endlessly interesting, and loves working with both functional and dysfunctional families. In her “other life” she was at Woodstock in 1969 and built, owned and operated a KOA Kampground in Gardiner, Maine. Although her many legal and community activities keep Linda extremely busy, she makes sure to find time for the loves of her life, her six grandchildren.
- Former president and board member of Westchester Women’s Bar Association
- Board member and Immediate Past President Surprise Lake Camp
- Executive committee member Pace Women’s Justice Center
- Former board president and member Westchester Women’s Bar Association Foundation
- Former board member of the Westchester County Bar Association
- Member Connecticut Bar Association
- Member Florida Bar Association
- Member New York State Bar Association
- Member New York Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Member Association of Collaborative Professionals of Westchester and Rockland
- Former board member Justice Brandeis Law Society
- Member White Plains Bar Association
- Member Estate Planning Council of Westchester
- Founding member of AAFCL
- Member International Association of Collaborative Professionals
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Family law
- Orders of Protection
- Wills & Estate Planning
- Residential Real Estate Closings
- Divorce Litigation and Negotiation
- Collaborative Law
- Divorce Mediation
- Child Support
- Child Custody
- Post Divorce Modification
TRAINING & CREDENTIALS
- B.A., New York University
- M.A., Manhattanville College
- JD Magna Cum Laude, Pace University Law School (now Elizabeth Haub School of Law at Pace University)
- Licensed to practice in New York, Florida and Connecticut, the United States District Court, and the Supreme Court of the United States
- Member of the Attorney for the Child panel 40 hour Mediation Trainings: Harvard 1993 and Center for Mediation in the Law 2009