Choosing a divorce attorney is almost like entering a long-term relationship. You need someone who is qualified and with whom you are also compatible. There are some questions to ask and ways to evaluate whether an attorney is the right divorce attorney for you.
How to Hire Your Divorce Attorney
Friends or relatives are often eager to recommend attorneys to you. This is helpful, but you want to be sure that the attorney is knowledgeable and experienced in family law issues. An attorney who obtained a great personal injury settlement for your brother’s neighbor’s uncle’s nephew may not be the right one to pursue your divorce.
It is a good idea to narrow down your search to about three attorneys. You will want to interview them all. You will be looking for someone:
- Whose primary practice area is family law.
- Who is trained in Mediation and/or the Collaborative Divorce process?
- Find out if the attorney has taken the requisite courses and has the requisite credentials.
- Someone who shares your philosophy. If you want to have a “nuclear war” and “win” at all costs, you will choose a different attorney than one who focuses on amicable settlements.
- Ask what will happen if your case is not right for Mediation or Collaboration. Will the attorney pursue traditional litigation?
- Determine the best way to communicate with the attorney. Phone calls? Email? Text messages?
Look at the attorney’s website. That will generally tell you the attorney’s practice areas and whether they are passionate about Mediation and Collaborative Divorce.
You will have a working relationship with this attorney, possibly for a long time. Although it is a professional relationship, at times it will feel personal. You want to feel a rapport. You need to feel comfortable with the difficult but necessary conversations you need to have about your family.
Contact Family Law Attorneys at Rosenthal & Markowitz, LLP
For answers to your questions about the divorce process, whether through Litigation, Mediation, or Collaboration, contact our family law attorneys at Rosenthal & Markowitz, LLP. We want to be sure you are comfortable with how we approach your divorce. You can reach us online or by calling 914.347.1292 to schedule a consultation.